Monday, June 21, 2010

New stuff for June!

I've stepped out of my comfort zone and am happy to say I love the results.  What started as a few custom orders turned into many new design ideas and techniques.  Check them out below, and at my Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/SweetMaggieJane

The second picture is the first piece of sterling silver jewelry that I oxidized myself using the hard-boiled egg method ~ which is SO neat!  Since I have tiny tots in the house, I didn't want to use liver of sulfur to oxidize, which I understand to be quite odorous.  Instead, I followed these steps and in an hour I had a beautifully organic charcoal sheen.  Amazing.  I quickly rediscovered however that some of my s.silver findings were tarnish resistant.  I was a little disappointed when peering into the oxidization chamber (aka ziplock bag!) and realized that some parts of the necklace where still shiny.  After I took the necklace out and washed it off, I changed my mind.  I like the mixed metals look of it all.  Very interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment